All information disclosed within sessions is confidential and will not be revealed to anyone without your written permission, except where reporting is required by law:
- Where there is suspicion that a child or children (that is, someone who is presently under the age of 16) has been or is being abused
- Where the client presents a serious danger of violence to others
- Where the client is likely to harm himself or herself unless protective measures are taken
- If a client reveals that he or she has been sexually abused by a health care provider who is covered by the Regulated Health Professions Act (for example, a psychologist, a nurse, a physician), the counsellor is obliged to report the name of the perpetrator to her governing body.
- If your file has been subpoenaed by a judge/court, or the counsellor is required to testify in a court proceeding
If you have any concerns about these matters, or about this form, please discuss these with me.